Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Interpretation Help?

Ok, you english/poetry buffs out there - I need some help.

I've been listening to this new Chris Thile record a lot the past couple weeks. He's the mandolin player in this group, Nickel Creek, who borders on bluegrass music, but definitely has a pop vibe as well. The album is quite a departure from their sound, and to be honest, it would be very hard for me to make an across the board recommendation of it.

That being said, I've enjoyed it tremendously. There's one track on the record that has been catching my ear in particular - especially the lyrics. I'm not one to focus on them too often (except if we're talking about rap lyrics I need to memorize in case I ever spend any amount of time on the dance floor again), but these have been bugging me, and to be honest, I'm not real sure what point he's trying to make with them.

I often have trouble trying to find a balance between my faith and the role it holds in my life and my disdain for the in-your-face tactics of any of the super-religious people I seem to be bombarded by from one direction or another. I can tell in some way Thile is trying to address that issue here, but can't quite wrap my fingers around it. Your interpretations or assistance are greatly appreciated.

Everybody have a happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the time you get to spend with your families. I'm off to see mine in Ft. Wayne, but may check in mid-research day on Friday - I've got two big papers due in a couple weeks and pretty much need to kick ass on them so I can hopefully get accepted in to my program after my less than stellar performance on the GRE.

Here are the lyrics. Song's called "The Believer" - off of Chris Thile's "Deceiver" on Sugar Hill Records.

You can point and laugh
I'm sure he's used to that
Using faith like an acrobat 'til the net breaks
He won't get upset
That though we've never met

I know everything he's said 'cause a friend once told me:
He's got hellfire in his eyes
There is madness behind the lies
He would burn us all alive just to prove his point

God save the believer we mistake for a deceiver
'cause it makes us feel better.

The time has come and gone
To say what's right and wrong
People like him don't belong 'cause we're all OK
You'd better write him off
without a second thought
Thinking just leads to getting caught in the traps he sets, like:

Who is that on his knees?
It's that daring young man from the flying trapeze
Crying "Father, Father, help me please"
Well good luck, pal, you're gonna need it

No comments: